Build Your Business Website in a Day- 4th November
Want to create your own business website but don’t know where to start?
About this Event
Participants will walk away from this one-day course with a fully functional website built on the WordPress platform. Each trainee receives their own WordPress installation to work on throughout the day. The course has been designed using an easy ‘drag and drop’ page builder system that requires no coding or technical knowledge.
You will be ‘hands-on’ from the beginning of the course, building your own web pages and learning everything you need to create a fully functional website. You will also learn how to optimise your website to rank in Google’s search results and the factors that Google uses to assess website rankings.
Following the course you may elect to retain your website or transfer it out to another hosting provider.
- Overview of WordPress and why it is the ideal platform for beginners
- How a WordPress installation is created on a web server
- Design themes and how they work with WordPress
- The different elements of the WordPress admin area
- Logging in and making a simple edits
- Working with layout elements, content elements and media elements
- Creating blog posts
- Plugins for functionality
- Creating and changing menus
- Permalinks and how they influence SEO
- Configuring your custom settings
- Understanding how your site will work on mobile devices
- Optimising your website for Google organic rankings
- What else influences how Google ranks your website
- Post course support
Introduction to your workshop provider
This workshop is written and delivered by David Taylor, Director of Webmedia, a digital marketing company trading in Chester for 11 years.
David has delivered this course to business owners on many occasions and received very positive reviews. He has worked with business and digital technologies since 1994 and is currently a Visiting Lecturer in digital marketing at the University of Chester and the former Digital Policy Manager for the Merseyside Objective One Programme.
These workshops are for beneficiaries of the Cheshire & Warrington Business Growth Programme – if you are not yet registered to the fully-funded programme you can still register for a ticket and you will be contacted by our team to check your eligibility. For any queries please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01244 512 655. Please also contact us if the event is fully-booked and you’d like to be added to the waitlist.
To be eligible to apply for support from the ERDF-funded Cheshire & Warrington Business Growth Programme you must be:
- Small – your new business must be an SME. An SME has under 250 staff, turnover of £45 million and any ownership by a wider commercial group is below 25%. You may also be a pre-start business.
- Local – your business address (registered or trading) is within the Cheshire East, the Cheshire West and Chester, or the Warrington council areas.
Do I need to bring or prepare anything for the workshop?
All you need to bring is yourself, a pen, notebook and a willingness to learn. We will ask for some details about your business upon registration to the workshop – this will help us in tailoring content to your needs.
Light refreshments (tea, coffee, water, biscuits) will be provided throughout the workshop. You will have an hour long break at lunchtime for you to stretch your legs and venture into Chester.
Unfortunately we cannot offer event parking at the Riverside Innovation Centre, however there is paid parking available a short walk away at the Little Roodee car park. If you need a disabled parking space please let us know.