Masterclass: Getting Retailer-Ready for Growth-Tue 15th Sept 2020
Masterclass: Getting Retailer-Ready for Growth
Two Session Virtual Masterclass, plus optional individual 15-minute Practice Pitch Slot.
The ‘mainstream’ retail sector is huge and varied. Entering it successfully is a major milestone for many ambitious growth companies.
Until recently, there was stability and some predictability in deliberations on B2C versus B2B, or ‘bricks-and mortar’ versus online trading models. But with COVID has come disruption – both routes to market and consumer behaviour – and growth businesses urgently need to reassess their options.
This virtually-delivered two session masterclass has no crystal balls, but it does offer the tools to help you reorient your products – possibly your entire business – for you to reassess, pivot and go again: confident that you have considered purposefully rather than simply flip-flopped.
Aimed at companies that have reached a fork in the road, it helps you ask the right questions, reappraise next steps and find viable growth opportunities, while dealing with the ‘growing pains’ that go with the territory.
We will survey the key retail segments and their characteristics, then use proven tools to identify your own Value Proposition that aligns with YOUR capabilities AND a well-defined customer segment.
Led and facilitated by a seasoned industry practitioner, this is a highly interactive and collaborative experience, to give you the clarity and confidence to moves onward and upwards.
Attendance at both sessions to be held on Tuesday 15th September and Friday 18th September 09:30-12:30 is required.
Attendance at the ‘practice-pitch’ session on Monday 22nd September is optional.
Session One: Setting the Foundations for Success
- Explore how to analyse and segment markets, channels and customers to uncover growth opportunities.
- Discover why even larger retailers value smaller, responsive suppliers.
- Gain exposure to the tools and processes to help you build a compelling Value Proposition both for your business AND product range – putting customers at the heart of your decision-making.
- Grasp the practical steps needed to scale up and retain control across operations, logistics, cash-flow, packaging and product design etc., along with the steps needed to protect your brand and product IP.
Session Two: Going to Market and Winning the Business you Want
- Build an effective Sales strategy to help you identify your ‘best fit’ targets AND getting closer to their real needs.
- Create robust costings and commercial proposals to retain profit and accurately identify your negotiation posture.
- Create a pitch that brings your product to life and gives the Buyer what they need to list your product. And establish what’s important in keeping the listings you gain.
An optional session will take place on Tuesday 22nd September to allow you to practice your elevator pitch. Further details will be shared during the masterclass.
By the end of the two sessions you will have:
- Clarity on the segments and opportunities of best potential for you.
- Begun to build your own compelling Value Proposition.
- Established the operational, logistical, QA and IP implications of scale-up.
- Developed the tools and skills for building a Commercial Proposition – and Pitch that works for you.
- Assimilated the presentational knowledge and skills you will need to operate confidently and successfully in the Buyer’s ‘bear pit’.
- With a further optional opportunity – to ‘dry-run’ your own Commercial Proposal to the Buyer profile of your choice via a 15- minute virtual ‘practice pitch’ session.
Introduction to Workshop Delivery Partner
The Masterclass will be delivered by Mark Bosworth, an experienced and engaging deliverer and facilitator with over 30 years’ experience in highly innovative businesses with a wide variety of successful product, brand and territory launches to his name. He is here to guide and assist you over this exciting but occasionally rocky terrain!
Who can attend?
You need to be registered, or be eligible to register, on the ERDF-funded Cheshire and Warrington Business Growth Programme. To be eligible you must be:
- Small – your business must be a registered SME. An SME has under 250 staff, turnover of £45 million and any ownership by a wider commercial group is below 25%.
- Local – your business address (registered or trading) is within the Cheshire East, the Cheshire West and Chester, or the Warrington council areas.
- Able to commit to receiving 12 hours of support through our workshops and 1:1s before September 2021, and must not have achieved over 18 hours of support already.
- For this specific Masterclass your business must already, or plan to, sell products to retailers.
Please contact us to discuss the support if you’re unsure at email@example.com or 01244 512 655.
How to join the Masterclass
Once you have registered your interest on Eventbrite, a member of the team will be in contact to confirm your eligibility and place on the Masterclass. You will then be provided with a link to join the sessions via Zoom. If you have not used Zoom before, try downloading and testing it out beforehand. Here is a link to some tutorials if you struggle or you can email us firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are you Masterclass ready?
Electronic workshop materials will be provided in advance; we ask you have these to hand in readiness for the two sessions. Beneficiaries are welcome to share their own experiences and learnings with others so that there is collaborative peer to peer learning.
Participation in the Masterclass will be facilitated via Zoom virtual platform; details will be forwarded to you on completion of registration, prior to your attendance.
You will require decent connectivity, camera and microphone functionality and – ideally – a quiet study space while the sessions run.
Photographs and/or recording will take place throughout the events advertised above. The images will be used for publicity or other purposes to help achieve the UoC ERDF Funded C&W Business Growth Programme aims. This might include (but is not limited to), use in their printed and online publicity, social media, press releases and funding applications. If you do not wish to be photographed or filmed, please speak to a member of the Business Growth Programme Team when you join the event.